You’re amazing. You’ve decided to carve out your own slice of the world wide web and fulfill your dream of doing what you love… However, the initial setup process can seem a little daunting if you’re not sure where to begin. That’s where we come in! This post will help you plan, set up, and launch your small business WordPress website over the weekend. We want you to spend less time building your website, and more time building your business. Ready? Let’s do this!
Note: Some of the links are affiliate links and we may earn a commission if you purchase through those links. We only recommend products & services that we love and use ourselves, so we know you’ll be in good hands.
Day One: Plan Your Website
1 | Start with the end in mind
Making a plan of your website up front is essential, as it will keep you focused on your goals. Spend a little time doing some competitive research and mapping out the structure of your site. As a starting point, brainstorm the following:
- What do you want to accomplish with your website, from a personal and/or a business perspective?
- Who is your target audience, or your most valuable visitor?
- What does your target audience need to know about your business when they arrive on your site?
- What action do you want your most valuable visitor to take on your website? Should they join your mailing list, purchase a product, or inquire about your service?
Write down as much detail as you can when you’re in this planning phase. With more detail on-hand, you’ll find it easier to craft your website’s flow and content to create a compelling user experience.Launch your new #WordPress website in 3 days with this complete guide (Plus free workbook)!Click To Tweet
2 | Create Your Brand Identity
Creating a strong brand identity will help to imprint your logo, imagery, and core messages in your target’s memory – so when they recall the service or product you provide, they’ll remember you, first. Consider the following questions:
- What is the core purpose of your product, or the most important message you want your brand to communicate?
- What is your single-minded proposition (SMP)? In other words, what is the most important thing you can say about your brand that differentiates you from potential competitors?
- What is your brand vision? What are your brand values?
Use Day 1 to work on defining your brand identity, and create a mood board which reflects how you’d like your brand to look and feel:
- Which logo style will show off your brand, and communicate who you are and what you do?
- Choose fonts and a color palette that suit your brand. If you’re unsure how to pick these, we’d recommend hiring a designer who will take your ideas on board and find the right design elements for you.
Day Two: Build Your Website
1 | Secure your domain name and hosting
If your website is the home of your business on the web, then your domain name is your home address, and your hosting account is the land on which you’ll build your house (where your website files will be stored). Devise a domain name that is:
- Aligned with your brand and core purpose (what you do or sell), and,
- Easy to remember (a domain name with fewer syllables is usually better for memory recall).
We recommend these hosting companies which also gives you a free domain name:
- Bluehost is a great option for a starter, offering plans from as low as $2.95/month
- SiteGround‘s StartUp Plan at just $3.95/month is crafted for an average-size blog or business website.
2 | Install WordPress
Check out the following video tutorial on how to set up hosting and installing WordPress on SiteGround. Yep, it’s that easy!
3 | Choose Your WordPress Theme
With your domain name secured and your hosting in place, it’s time to style your site! There are many free WordPress themes available, but the benefits of purchasing a premium theme can include:
- More features for additional customization
- Access to knowledgeable WordPress developer support for any technical difficulties during setup
- Exclusive plugins to extend the theme’s functionality
- And much more!
4 | Install & Setup Your Theme
Next, you can install your Bluchic WordPress theme by login to your WordPress admin dashboard. Go to Appearance – Themes – Add New – Upload Theme. Choose the theme zip file from your computer, install and activate it.
And now, finally, you can let your imagination and creativity run wild… it’s time to add your own branding and make your website très chic and unique! Change the colors and fonts, and upload your logo and any other brand imagery you have.
Day Three: Launch Your Website
Congratulations – it’s launch day! You’ve put in the hard yards and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. Go you, girl boss! Now it’s time to tell the world you have arrived! Get creative in promoting your website – here are just a few ideas to get the ball rolling:
- Create a social media launch strategy and use your accounts to promote and post about your new site
- Join in existing conversations within your field or industry; make the most of Facebook groups, lists and hashtags
- Recruit your friends and family to be your advocates; ask them to “like” and “share” posts when you have launched
- Find related sites and social accounts and consider writing a guest post or being involved with their content strategy
- Run a giveaway to build awareness for your brand and to boost your site traffic (and be sure to mention your giveaway on social media!).
You Can Do It!
See? Building a WordPress website doesn’t have to be scary or overwhelming. If you follow this easy guide you can create a stunning site in just 3 days (or less if you’re the uber-ambitious type)! And we’re here to help if you have any questions.
The best time to get started isn’t next week, tomorrow, or even later. It’s right now. So stop putting off setting up your own website, grab a gorgeous Bluchic theme, and go get ‘em, girl! Don’t forget to grab your free workbook to help you launch your WordPress website.
Loved this post? Share it with your friends!