Spam comments are the worst, wouldn’t you agree?
It feels like spam commenters are increasing by the numbers, becoming more popular not only on website comments but on Instagram and other social media sites as well.
There is hope though! Google is starting to really crack down on bad links across the web.
However, Google is not only cracking down on sites that buy spam links to go and comment, but they are also cracking down on sites that allow spam comments.
If your site is getting spam comments and you aren’t doing anything about them, you could start ranking lower in the search results, which of course no one wants!
In today’s post, we’ll share reasons why you may be getting spam comments on your website and what you can do to fix it.
Why You’re Getting Spam Comments On Your Website (And What To Do About It!)
How to tell if it’s a spam comment
First up, let’s cover how to tell if the comments you are getting are actual spam or not. Sometimes they can be misleading (spammers are getting better at what they do, unfortunately).
Here are some questions to ask yourself when reviewing spam comments:
1. Does the comment author use a legitimate name or does it contain keywords? Spammers will often use various keywords to try and hack your SEO efforts. These are usually obvious, using a name such as “fit and healthy” or something like that most likely isn’t a real comment.
2. Would I want to click on the link listed by the author? When you leave a comment on a blog, on most sites it allows you to leave a link back to your website. If the link is something that looks like a bunch of random letters and numbers put together, it probably isn’t a real link or real comment.
3. Does the comment refer to anything specific in the blog post? If not, it’s probably spam. Spammers often leave the same comment on hundreds of different websites. If it’s super generic says nothing in response to the content of your blog post, it’s most likely spam.
Related post: How to Legally Protect Your Website and Business
Looking for resources to help you take your website and biz to the next level?
We have 20+ FREE guides, checklists, and workbooks inside our Freebie Library to make your website converts better and grow your business.
Why you’re getting spam comments
The whole reason why spammers leave spam comments on blogs is to link back to their own websites, so they can rank higher in the search results and get more traffic. Basically, people that are shamelessly and shadily promoting their websites.
For the most part, spammers aren’t targeting you specifically to leave spam comments. Spammers can buy thousands of spam comments at one time that are automatically sent out on their behalf (unfortunately it is very easy to buy spam comments), so they aren’t singling out your website.Wonder why you’re getting spam comments on your website? Check out this post from @Bluchic!Click To Tweet
How to stop spam comments
There are several ways you can lessen spam comments on your blog. Below are a few options:
1. Don’t allow comments: One option is simply not allowing comments. We don’t have a comments section on our blog and moderating spam commenters is one (not the only) reasons why. With social media booming these days, people are leaving fewer comments on blogs.
2. Manually moderate: Some people would prefer to manually moderate all comments on their blog, to make sure they are reviewing every single comment. If you run a website that receives a large number of traffic, we would not recommend manually moderating as it can take up a lot of your time.
3. Use a plugin to moderate: You can use plugins that help you automatically moderate comments on your site. Most plugins are very intuitive and can recognize a spam commenter. We’ve listed a few options for you below.
4. Update your discussion settings: There is a section on WordPress that is dedicated to your comments section. You can list banned words and ban IP addresses, among other things. You can edit your settings in WordPress by going to Settings >> Discussion.
Related post: BOO! Are You Making These Scary Website Mistakes?
Plugins to help
Here are several plugins that are highly recommended and are great at automatically moderating your comment section:
WordPress Zero Spam
Stop Spammers Spam Prevention
Unfortunately, spam comments will probably always be around but there are ways that you can combat it. Our best advice would be to either not allow comments on your website or use a plugin to moderate so you don’t have to waste much time.